funsec mailing list archives

RE: UK expands surveillance of its citizens

From: "David Harley" <david.a.harley () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 08:39:59 +0100

It's not that easy. We are a small and over-populated island, and
we're

Get out of London and into the country, where you can walk
for hours and not see anyone. We aren't overpopulated.

As it happens, I live surrounded by National Trust land. But:
* You don't measure population density by the least populated areas
* You don't choose a landfill site and just move on to the next swathe of
agricultural, grazing, or National Park land when you've converted that one
from a valley to a hill.
* Where are these places where you can walk for hours and not see anyone?
Dartmoor, Exmoor, the Lake District, the Peak District, Snowdonia, the
Jurassic coast? Nope. You can't walk for ten minutes without coming across a
three groups of hikers in bright red and blue kagoules, a family party with
twin three-year-olds with kites, a Dimbleby with a film crew, a dozen
squaddies on exercise, three BAe Hawks contour-chasing, two Chinooks and a
Search and Rescue helicopter, and half a dozen Japanese tourists
photographing each other in front of a stone circle. The last time

Of course we have countryside. That's what we sell (or rent) to the
tourists. But not much of it is "available" land and not many people can
afford to live there. Including some of us who do.

--
David Harley CISSP, Small Blue-Green World
Security Author/Editor/Consultant/Researcher