funsec mailing list archives

Re: Student arrested over Counter Strike map

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 11:38:00 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 4 May 2007, Brad Lhotsky wrote:

Drsolly wrote:

Yes, I've always wondered why they won't let me carry a bomb onto an
airplane. It isn't bombs that kill people, it's people that kill people.

Armed with fresh indoct^H^H^H^H^Heducation from a CISSP Exam Prep Class,
I'll have to submit that concept of "Dual-use goods".  Dual meaning
"good guy uses" and "bad guy uses" or rather, "Benign" or "Malignant"

With a bomb, the dual-use argument to be made for "benign use" is
limited to military and construction.  Chances are that if you're not on
a military base or a construction(blasting) site and you come across a
bomb, the intended use is not "benign".

What about someone transporting it from one place to another?

Evaluating a hammer as a "bad" thing in the context of a little boy's
room is perplexing.  Sure, he might be building a weapon.  Dear lord, if
that were a crime when I was growing up, I'd be typing this from
Guantanamo Bay right now.  The kid had a hammer.  I used to use all my
dad's power tools.  This society is becoming more and more depressing
with their horrible risk assessment skills.

I usually carry a knife around with me everywhere I go.  It's a tool.
I've never used it for self-defense or attacking someone.  I'm annoyed
that so many people classify a knife as a "threat".  For me, and most
people I know, the "benign" uses of the knife far outweigh the
"malignant" uses.  I've had a conversation with someone lecturing me on
why I shouldn't carry a knife in public to have them, practically mid
sentence ask to borrow my knife to open the tamper-proof plastic
wrapping of a DVD or CD. *blink*

I carry a multitool; the main use is the pliers, but there's also a saw, a
knife, and a thing for getting stones out of horses hooves.

Does anyone know where the reset button is on this administration and
media? :)

Yes, it's your nearest travel agent. Come to England, where our Big Issue
today is whether rubbish should be collected weekly or fortnightly.