funsec mailing list archives

Re: Student arrested over Counter Strike map

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 23:18:36 -0400

On Sat, 05 May 2007 16:15:15 CDT, Brian Loe said:
On 5/4/07, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:
On Fri, 04 May 2007 18:11:49 CDT, Brian Loe said:

Name a single instance where the SWAT team entered a school before the
killer had already finished killing his victims and himself?

Virginia Tech.

The police managed to get the doors open and head in while the gunfire
was still going on.  There's reason to believe that Cho offed himself
when he did (since there were still potential victims to be had) because
he knew the police were heading up the stairs.

I would imagine you are in a better position to know that I am, but
EVERY news report I've read specifically states that the police did
not enter until the shooting was over.

No, the shooting was over very soon after the police stormed the building.

                                       Those that mentioned it also
stated that he was essentially out of ammo when he killed himself. If
the news got it wrong, fine, I'll stand corrected.

Just to close this one off - today, the task force investigating this whole
mess released the information that Cho entered Norris Hall with 377 rounds of
ammunition, used 170, and still had 207 left when he killed himself. So he'd
run through less than half his ammo, and there were still a lot of classrooms
of potential victims.  Horris is a pretty big building, and Cho did most of
his carnage in only 4 classrooms.

One shudders to think how high the body count could have been if Cho
hadn't been distracted from "kill everybody he can" to "they'll never
take him alive".