funsec mailing list archives

Re: Student arrested over Counter Strike map

From: Paul Vixie <vixie () vix com>
Date: 05 May 2007 23:05:42 +0000

when the safety lobby proved that passivity would save more risked-lives
in the long run than reactivity, passivity became universal policy.  women
are told that their best chance of surviving a rape attack is to submit;
citizens in general are told that their best chance of surviving a robbery
is to submit; transport passengers are told that their best chance of
surviving a hijacking is to submit; and so on.  and sure enough, fewer of
the lives risked by these kinds of attacks are lost when a policy of
submission and passivity is followed.

but are more lives risked in more attacks of this kind than would be risked
if the policy were more reactive?  the safety lobby hasn't been asked to
measure or prove anything on that topic.

many of us (probably including richard smith here) were inspired by stories
like robert heinlein's Beyond This Horizon, where the universal policy was
reaction, and noone committed or even planned any kind of attack on anybody
or anything without taking into account an armed populance, which ordinarily
was therefore a very polite populance.

certainly 9/11 changed the rules for transport passengers.  nowadays and for
some years to come, anybody acting even a little bit odd on a commercial air
trip is going to get tackled by their otherwise-peace-loving fellow
passengers.  the new rules trade a more certain death for those who are
attacked, in exchange for fewer attacks overall.  how we insist on living
has a lot to do with how we're willing to die, and vice versa.

i hope this explains why i tolerate very high false-positive rates in my spam
filtering.  i won't have my world held hostage.  as james taylor said, ain't
nothing gonna change until somebody somewhere decides to stand up and fight.
--
Paul Vixie