funsec mailing list archives

Re: Student arrested over Counter Strike map

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Sun, 06 May 2007 02:02:41 -0400

On Sat, 05 May 2007 19:18:07 CDT, Brian Loe said:

instance, gun magazines. Once you do, you'll see that things like
pistols are very specialized - geared toward competitive shooting,
concealed carry, general defence, etc.. Things a bad guy just isn't
interested in - for that, the gun manufactures would have to advertise
"easily removed serial numbers" and such.

I dunno... "concealed carry" and "general defense" seem to be things that a bad
guy would be interested in as well, unless he's a stupid bad guy. If I was
planning to off somebody with a 9mm or similar, "concealed" would be a major
advantage until the moment I started aiming.  And if perchance my first shot
didn't drop the target, and he suddenly popped up with armament of his own
(highly likely in the bad guy vs. bad guy case), "general defense" will
suddenly be very important to me as well.

Remember - if you're returning fire because a bad guy shot at you first,
the engineering considerations are the same, and it doesn't matter if you
are a good or bad guy.  Either way, you'll be looking for the same qualities
in the weaponry you return fire with.