funsec mailing list archives

Re: Student arrested over Counter Strike map

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 13:10:43 -0500

On 5/7/07, rms () computerbytesman com <rms () computerbytesman com> wrote:
Gun murder rate statistics and other crime statistics broken down by
states are available all over the Internet and easily found with Google.

I know where to find the virtually only trustworthy statistics, I just
wanted to see where you got yours.

In general, the New England states have the lowest gun murder rates in the
country.

So long as you only consider DC as a Federal Territory I suppose. In
reality, I think you're being too kind to North East states. Most of
those states are pretty small, which helps, but I wouldn't call them
care free:

Bureau of Justice Statistics - Data Online
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs

Homicides in 2004

State   % Gun   % Knife % Other Weapons
Alabama 64.3    9.6     26.1
Alaska  45.9    10.8    43.2
Arizona 72.4    10.8    16.9
Arkansas        62.7    12.4    24.8
California      72.2    11.8    16.1
Colorado        58.3    16.1    25.6
Connecticut     54      19.5    26.4
Delaware        64.3    21.4    14.3
Georgia 64.5    13.2    22.3
Hawaii  19.4    41.9    38.7
Idaho   56.7    16.7    26.7
Illinois        75.2    8.3     16.5
Indiana 69.6    12.4    18.1
Iowa    47.5    22.5    30
Kansas  60      8       32
Kentucky        62.7    11.5    25.8
Louisiana       79.5    7.9     12.6
Maine   52.9    23.5    23.5
Maryland        74.2    11      14.8
Massachusetts   58.1    22.2    19.8
Michigan        71.5    10.7    17.9
Minnesota       66.4    17.3    16.4
Mississippi     70.9    12.6    16.6
Missouri        68.8    10.5    20.7
Nebraska        63      11.1    25.9
Nevada  64      14      22.1
New Hampshire   30.8    23.1    46.2
New Jersey      58.8    17.9    23.3
New Mexico      50      18      32
New York        57.8    20      22.2
North Carolina  59.5    14      26.4
North Dakota    50      0       50
Ohio    52.7    12.3    35.1
Oklahoma        57      17.2    25.8
Oregon  53.3    20      26.7
Pennsylvania    71      8.5     20.4
Rhode Island    61.5    11.5    26.9
South Carolina  67.7    13.2    19.1
South Dakota    31.3    25      43.8
Tennessee       63.1    13.7    23.1
Texas   64.8    15.5    19.7
Utah    49.1    12.7    38.2
Vermont 18.8    43.8    37.5
Virginia        69.4    11.3    19.3
Washington      56.1    15.3    28.6
West Virginia   50.8    12.7    36.5
Wisconsin       64.5    12.9    22.6
Wyoming 27.3    27.3    45.5

Notes: When data are unavailable, the cells are blank or the year is
not presented.
          Data are presented only for those years in which the
estimated number of homicides from the UCR is available and at least
half of those homicides were reported in the SHR.

Sources: Number of homicides is from the FBI's Uniform Crime Reports (UCR).
             Characteristics of homicides are from the FBI's
Supplementary Homicide Reports (SHR).

Date of download: May 07 2007

(Memo to Michael Moore: some states almost as low as Canada).

Memo to Michael Moore: quit lying - if the truth doesn't support your
beliefs, perhaps you should change your beliefs rather than the facts.