funsec mailing list archives

Re: UK: Drivers may be banned from smoking at the wheel

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 13:37:13 -0400

On Tue, 15 May 2007 10:32:30 CDT, Brian Loe said:

Its amazing that you believe you have the right to not suffer others'
follies, yet you don't believe in any purpose for being here in the
first place.

The second phrase doesn't necessarily follow from the first.  I can believe
that I have a right to not suffer other idiot's mistakes, but still believe
that I have a purpose for being here.

In fact, the most *obvious* purpose in that case is "your mission is to lower
the number of idiots while doing the least damage to society as a whole" (note
that the secondary requirement rules out just rounding up the idiots and
shooting them - I think Hitler proved that's pretty damaging to society).