funsec mailing list archives

RE: WHOIS Privacy Stalemate... Again

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 12:19:59 +1200

Larry to Andy Sutton:

I'd willingly pay an extra $5-$10 a year per domain to fund something
like that.

So would I, but ICANN would rather just have you pay more money to
Verisign.

Although I obviously differ with Larry on some other issues here, he's
right on the money with that observation...

Don't think too much in terms of common sense WRT ICANN's decision
making. And if they decided to investigate this it would take them a
year to organize the committee to study the problem and 2 more for the
committee to draft a preliminary report.

You really think they'd get a prelim report out that quickly?  More
like a draft guidance document to steer the direction the committee
should take...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald