funsec mailing list archives

RE: A fun security experiment with the TSA

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 08:55:45 -0400

Airline employees tell me all of the time that I'm on the TSA's "list".
It's no big secret. I now must check-in with a human being at the main
ticket counter.  I no longer can do curb-side check-in or use the automated
machines.

At the counter, I've also noticed lately that information from my drivers
license is being typed into the computer.  In the past, a counter person
would simply look at my license and give it back to me.

But how effective can a watch list system be when a name like "Richard
Smith" is in the database?

Richard