funsec mailing list archives

Re: A fun security experiment with the TSA

From: Jordan Wiens <numatrix () ufl edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 09:30:39 -0400

On Aug 24, 2007, at 2:15 PM, Blue Boar wrote:

security curmudgeon wrote:
As for the spot checks, I get them about 50% of the time. If you were on
a watch list, i'd imagine you would get them all the time and be
questioned heavily before passing the screening check. Do you travel with any computer equipment in your luggage? When I have a keyboard, mouse,
laptop power supply and other hardware, I tend to see the TSA cards.

I rarely get checked, or at least I rarely get the note. However, this
last return trip from Las Vegas I had one. I had a DefCon badge in my
checked bag, go figure.

I didn't check any luggage (never do if I can get away with it). In my two carry-on bags I had three defcon badges, two laptops, keyboard, mouse, many, many cables, networking gear, external hard drives, etc, (gear from the capture the flag contest). Didn't get stopped. A friend who was going through the security check-point right behind me had his bags searched. Turned out some fudge he had purchased just minutes before in the airport was suspicious (block of C4, I suppose?) and he was inspected.

I don't think I've /ever/ had either my checked luggage opened (or at least no card), or had my carry-on inspected except for the one time my wife left a water bottle in our carry-on going through Gatwick.

I must just look innocent or something.

--
Jordan Wiens, CISSP
UF Network Security Engineer