funsec mailing list archives

Re: A fun security experiment with the TSA

From: "Don Blumenthal" <dmblumenthal () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 11:07:35 -0400

On 8/24/07, rms () computerbytesman com <rms () computerbytesman com> wrote:
Hi,

I've been traveling a lot this summer and I have noticed that the TSA is
inspecting my checked bags about 50% of the time.  I know because they leave
a nice calling card in my bags each time they open them up.  I'm not sure
what they are so interested in, but it might be related to the fact that I'm
on some sort of terrorist watch list.

Do you think that they would leave the card if you were on a terrorist list?

I am kind of interested in what the TSA is doing with my bags in the back
room.  Does anyone have any suggestion for some kind of cheapo video camera
that I can place in my bag in order to catch all of the action?

Interesting concept, although I can think of all sorts of logistical
problems with making it work. I'd also have to wonder if the batteries
would still be there on arrival, and if you wouldn't guarantee winding
up on a list if you tried it. Why not ask to see the handling room
videos (most have them for liability, management, and forensic
reasons)? I'd love to see the reaction to the request, but it never
hurts....

Don

--
Don M. Blumenthal