funsec mailing list archives

Re: old news - but not here

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 00:15:26 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007, Brian Loe wrote:

Holy shit, they're talking about people wearing pants that expose
their ass - virtually every country in the world has laws against
showing that which is perceived as "private".

I fail to see how that compares to forcing women to cover their faces...

Well, the thing is, different cultures regard different parts as
"private". So, for example, in the US, they talk about making it illegal
for you to wear your pants so low that your underwear is visible; in Iran
they talk about women's faces. In the US, there's a tremendous hoo-hah
when some woman exposes a nipple on TV, in France they have topless women
on many beaches. And so on. I think it's mostly a religious thing, and I
really don't grok these religions. But I do know that there's a whole
bunch of different brands of religion, all offering a different bundle of
benefits, and all making a different bunch of demands. Yes, I know it's
all a load of hooey, but there's a whole bunch of people who take this
stuff seriously. And worse - they want to enforce their own religions
crazynesses on other folks.