funsec mailing list archives

Re: old news - but not here

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 09:06:19 -0500

On 9/11/07, Andy Sutton <newslists () pessimists net> wrote:
On Tue, 2007-09-11 at 18:00 -0500, Brian Loe wrote:
I fail to see how that compares to forcing women to cover their
faces...

I fail to see how you can't.  Different cultural norms produce different
perceptions on what makes a good decency law, but force is still force.
Whether that force is used to cover up someones Joe Boxers, thong, or a
woman's hair makes not a lick of difference - unless you believe "our"
force is better.

If that's the case, I have nothing else to say to you.

I'll concede the point that all governments use force. I'll concede
the point that all governments enforce culturally based laws. But I
can not concede the idea that forcing a woman to cover her face -
become invisible - is equivalent to forcing a guy to pull his pants up
so that he can actually walk across the street at a proper pace.

As comparisons between other non-insane countries go, there really
isn't much comparison in this regard. France may have public nude
beaches, but the US does have them as well - they're generally just
private. If this country got back to its roots we would all
acknowledge that "property = pursuit of happiness" and let that
knowledge be our guide. In other words, we don't need the government's
permission to do shit on our property - but the community does still
guide what happens in the public. Most laws in the modern world, where
ever you are but certainly every place I've heard from on here, are
based on religious moral edicts. But they're not "religious laws" -
they are the agreed upon morality of the community (or should be).
This is an argument for strong state powers (often called "rights"),
which I am in favor of.

Some folks just don't want to see breasts hanging out in public. I
don't understand it, but its the law (most of the time ;).