funsec mailing list archives

Re: What Happened to The 56 Men Who Signed the DeclarationofIndependence ?

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 09:24:07 -0500

On 7/9/07, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:
On Mon, 9 Jul 2007, Larry Seltzer wrote:

> >>Wow....less than 30 years earlier than the US - with a LOT more
> experience in such matters. Guess Solly's adopted home isn't so
> benevolent after all....
>
> I could take issue with the Doctor's characterization of relative
> freedoms in the US and UK (which included all of Ireland until this past
> century), but all countries have things in their past to be ashamed of.
> Looking over history with a broad perspective, the US and UK are both
> beacons of freedom, and our own traditions for civil liberties come
> entirely from the founding fathers' perception of themselves as
> Englishmen and their love of the freedoms of Englishmen. This is a
> stupid thing to argue over.

Very true.

Ditto...but who am I to stand in the way of an argument?

Btw, Gadi, I would say your "facts" are pretty dead-on thus far. Keep
in mind though, so far as Truman and other mid-20th century actions
go, they left a lot to be desired. Forced integration, for instance,
failed miserably leaving a bad taste in the mouths of many in the
south - and cause for the extended racial conflict we are still
experiencing.

It can be argued, and has been by some of the best minds out there (I
would specifically name some of the black economists that are often
marginalized for being conservative blacks like Walter Williams), that
what was meant to "help" the black community has actually been better
at destroying it. Instead of having tight nit communities that were
self-reliant and self-perpetuating they now find themselves more and
more dependent on the public dole. IMO this is mostly a result of two
things: white guilt (usually whites that have nothing to be guilty
about); a political interest in making blacks dependent on government
and political promises in order to buy votes.

If you ever want to see an example of this in action feel free to
visit the KC,MO and KS areas. Especially the famed 13th and Vine
community.