funsec mailing list archives

RE: What Happened to The 56 Men Who Signed the DeclarationofIndependence ?

From: "Larry Seltzer" <Larry () larryseltzer com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 09:52:00 -0400

It was an act of parliament, long before your civil war.

1809 I think

I guess I'm wrong on this. I was positive I had read 1809 at one point,
but a little Googling indicates that the abolition act was passed in
1833 and took effect in 1834.

http://www.anti-slaverysociety.addr.com/huk-1833act.htm

This article also says "...in Scotland, which does not have the common
law, bondage still existed until the late eighteenth century, when it
was abolished by legislation."

The international slave trade was banned in the British Empire in 1807.
I believe it was banned in the US not long thereafter, although only as
a matter of law. Illegal trade continued.

Larry Seltzer
eWEEK.com Security Center Editor
http://security.eweek.com/
http://blogs.eweek.com/cheap_hack/