funsec mailing list archives

Re: What Happened to The 56 Men Who Signed the Declarationof Independence ?

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 10:36:59 +0100 (BST)

On Sun, 8 Jul 2007, Brian Loe wrote:

Quite frankly, one of the good ideas that was batted around
back-in-the-day was that only land owners have a vote. Not completely
unreasonable, IMHO.

Also, the original wording was, "life, liberty and property" -
property, after all, being happiness.

But, for what its worth, they still rape this phrase today. A Mexican,
here legally or not, is still made by his maker and the owner of these
same rights. The argument then becomes whether or not our Constitution
covers them. So, for instance, I would have already made Iraq and
Afghanistan a state or protectorate of the U.S.  - with all of those
rights, to include our Constitution.

We tried that, called it "The British Empire". They didn't like it then,
they won't like it now.

Certainly wouldn't have done any
worse...and there's a good argument that things might be better.