funsec mailing list archives

Re: WHOIS Privacy Stalemate... Again

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents montreal qc ca>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 21:53:51 -0400 (EDT)

I'm in favor of accurate data being available in the WHOIS
database(s) myself.
For everyone who feels this way, does it bother you that this
information becomes easy to harvest for e-mail and postal mail
spamming and scamming?

No.  My experience, as someone who's held a domain that way since at
least 2000-10-26 (and I think even longer), indicates that this
"problem" is so far down in the noise it's not worth even *thinking*
about - see the message I sent to the list in this thread just a few
minutes ago.  Do you have evidence to indicate that my experience in
this respect is unusual?

Do you have any suggestions to address that problem?

No; I don't usually bother addressing nonexistent problems.

Even if it *were* a problem, I still stand by the stance that being
contactable is part of the responsibility that needs to come with the
authority of holding a domain.

I say "needs to come with" rather than "comes with" because, as far as
I can tell, currently, the only responsibility that comes with owning a
domain these days is paying its registrar.  As with any system
involving mismatches between responsibility and authority, this has
attracted abuses.  Such a system is self-correcting; the abuses grow
until the mismatch is corrected, the system collapses, or, in minor
cases (which today's Internet is not among), an equilibrium is reached.
I'd just stand aside and let it self-correct except that I want to have
a usable Internet quicker than that.

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML               mouse () rodents montreal qc ca