funsec mailing list archives

RE: AOL CD with Virus - Old Info

From: "Discini, Sonny" <Sonny.Discini () montgomerycountymd gov>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 07:53:19 -0500

I had a copy of the CD for years though after moving a few times it vanished. I remember that AOL had 5.a, b and c out
when this happened. It was the "a" release if memory serves. I also remember all the hoaxes which is why I was
skeptical at first when my buddy called me up (ya know, free tech support 24x7 for your pals). After trying the install
myself, indeed a virus was present. We got on the horn with AOL and the nice lady who answered said they were aware of
the issue and she would mail us a new CD immediately. She instructed us to pitch the bad CD in the trash but of course
I kept it. The bad CD was mailed to my pal in northern Virginia (maybe 10 miles from AOL HQ) back when this happened.

Sonny