funsec mailing list archives

Re: TrendMicro goes Douchebag

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 22:38:04 -0500

On Jan 30, 2008 7:19 PM, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:
On Wed, 30 Jan 2008, Paul Ferguson wrote:

- -- "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com> wrote:

I didn't think it was an attack against open source software, but
rather a patent on "virus scanning on ftp and smtp gateways"

Why? It's a valid patent -- it was invented & implemented by our
(now CEO) Eva Chen.

If you don't like the patent system, rail against that.

It's the choice of each company to either use the patent system for
software, or not use it. The fact that an activity is legal, doesn't mean
that it's a nice thing to do.

Trend, apparently, have chosen to do a legal, but not-nice thing. So, some
people will conclude, that Trend is a not-nice bunch of people.

I don't judge people by the corporate decisions made by the company
they are currently working for

A dude's gotta eat

-JP