funsec mailing list archives

Re: Who on funsec is in the "Main Core" database?

From: Gary Warner <gar () askgar com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 23:47:32 -0500

John C. A. Bambenek, GCIH, CISSP wrote:
Right, because seeing who is talking to overseas terrorists is the
same as the TSA fingerbanging granny at the airport.

I had a new TSA experience in Charlotte this week.  I did an "at the
counter" airline switch from the Practically Guaranteed To Be Late
United Airlines* (which is an AUTOMATIC invitation to the full TSA
"treatment").  They have a machine called a "puffer" there, you walk
into it, the doors close before and behind you, and you get hit by
around thirty jets of air, while suction at the bottom of the "booth"
sucks all your dust into an analysis machine.

I'm not sure how they would tell MY ions from the last guys ions, based
on the fact that after the puff I was covered with hairs, threads,
pieces of dust and other assorted shit that I'm quite sure were not on
me BEFORE the puff.   I think someone forgot to read the manual on how
to clean the filters, or more likely, they spent $150,000 on the
machine, but not the $300 each day for new filters.

 (See:  http://discovermagazine.com/2006/oct/air-puffer-explosive-airport)

Had a nice chat with the very polite TSA guy as he swabbed my phone, my
laptop keyboard, my shoes, my ipod, and the bottom of each pocket of my
backpack for "residue".  When he opened my backpack he found my agenda
and folder from the UNCC cybercrime conference I'd been attending, which
apparently is where he got his criminal justice degree.  Fortunately I
hadn't been to the range that day, and wasn't using the backpack that I
keep my ammo in.

For the record, I'm not in the "Main Core" database.  I'm in the Other
Database.  I'd invite you, but you're probably not 733T enough.

* - source Bureau of Transportation Statistics:
http://www.bts.gov/programs/airline_information/airline_ontime_statistics/

--

Gary Warner
Director of Research in Computer Forensics
The University of Alabama at Birmingham
gar () cis uab edu            gar () askgar com
205.934.8620               205.422.2113