funsec mailing list archives

Re: Who on funsec is in the "Main Core" database?

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 08:58:26 -0400

The security theater extends to the pilots, too, some lesser examples
of which want to carry guns while flying.

Now, if I were a hijacker, I'd be delighted to observe that flight crew were
armed.  The problem of "how do I get a firearm on the aircraft?" would be
reduced to "how do I get them to try to use it?" because using it will
require that they *open the cockpit door*.

Either they'll open that door or they won't.

If they're foolish enough to open it, then I've gotten them to disable
one of the two effective security measures they have.  (The other
being passengers who will fight back given the chance.)  All I need
to do after that is get them to believe they've shot the right people
(expendable accomplices) while I, "the terrified passenger hostage",
get behind them, enter the cockpit, shut and lock the door.  I don't
even need to overpower them and take the gun away, since once they're
on the other side of that door I don't really care what they do with it.

If they won't open the cockpit door then they might as well not be armed,
because there's nobody in the cockpit to shoot.

---Rsk