funsec mailing list archives

Re: Rage against spammers and telemarketers

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents-montreal org>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 15:55:51 -0400 (EDT)

The planners: Enarques, Oxbridge and Ivy Leaguers are taking over the
world, and will give us what they think we need, as opposed to what
we want.

"What we want" has not proven to be a very good way to govern.  There's
even an idiom in English - "bread and circuses" - alluding to a rather
famous failure of governing by direct popular mandate.  While it is
also somewhat apocryphal - it comes from a satirist's work - for it to
have survived in live use indicates that its referent is common enough
for us to need an idiom for it.

"What they think we need" is more likely to be a useful approximation
to "what we ened" than "what we want" is, I think; that's the point of
education, after all.  (And, I suspect, most of the apparent deviations
from this are due to "them" giving "us" not "what they think we need"
but rather "what they want us to have".)

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse () rodents-montreal org