funsec mailing list archives

Re: All your database (and email) are belong to us ...

From: chris () blask org
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 19:45:33 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Sat, 7/25/09, security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org> wrote:

To me, this doesn't indicate a company you can trust on
security any more than another random company.

There isn't anything particular about Google that makes me think of them as a company that is particularly stellar (or
not) on matters of security, but the point that struck me is that *as compared to a large collection of random
municipal gov't network admins* there are probably at least two things to be said for Google as a secure storage
solution:

1/  Google can afford a large and potentially talented security team.

2/  Should any one incident occur at Google the lessons learned are likely to be applied across the organization.

These are good points to some extent for any hosted standardized solution - just as buying a firewall has these things
going for it as opposed to building your own.  Google has the additional advantage of billions of dollars and massive
resources, and perhaps the disadvantage of being extremely visible as well.

-chris