funsec mailing list archives

Re: All your database (and email) are belong to us ...

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 02:50:08 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009, chris () blask org wrote:

: 2/ Should any one incident occur at Google the lessons learned are
: likely to be applied across the organization.

I'd be happy to bet against you on this.

Incident occurred. Lesson: Single factor SSO authentication can bite you
in the ass (access to mail, calendar, docs, apps, more).

I bet we don't see them change this to require (or even allow) unique
passwords for each part. I bet we don't see them change to two-factor
authentication, even if it remains SSO.

: These are good points to some extent for any hosted standardized
: solution - just as buying a firewall has these things going for it as
: opposed to building your own.  Google has the additional advantage of
: billions of dollars and massive resources, and perhaps the disadvantage
: of being extremely visible as well.

If they spend a portion of those billions of dollars on security, sure.
But like most companies, security doesn't seem to be any more 'built in
from the ground up' than the next company.