funsec mailing list archives

Re: Actual Climate Change Thread

From: "Tomas L. Byrnes" <tomb () byrneit net>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 22:26:08 -0800

Wow, this reminds me of something form the Dada engine, or the "social
Text" affair.

Not sure where to begin in deconstruction, but it seems that the
following statement:

"Weather has alpha-stable distribution.  This means varince is infinite,
at least in theory."

Is demonstrably false, since at some value of significant enough
atmospheric excitation there would cease to be an atmosphere due to the
gasses achieving escape velocity, as the most obvious example of some
sort of limitation on the system.

My guess is that a more valid model of weather is that it is variable
within bounds set by climate, and climate within bounds set by
insolation, albedo, gas composition (I doubt we're about to get a
methane atmosphere any time soon, FE), etc.

IOW, it's actually in dynamic equilibrium locally, but it's gross
equilibrium is static in a relatively small spectrum, absent some major
external force.

For something more in-line with the expertise of this group, some
examination of the (awful IMNSHO) actual code used at the CRU is in
order:

http://di2.nu/foia/HARRY_READ_ME-0.html