funsec mailing list archives

Re: Was the ClimateGate Hacker Justified? Join the Debate!

From: Wes Deviers <wdevie () hrcsb org>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 10:56:03 -0500

On Thursday 03 December 2009 10:08:03 am Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:
4) Do you know that most of temperature measurement is done in urban
areas, biasing the measurement?

I'm pretty sure everybody is pretty aware it's warmer in the cities, that
effect has been understood for centuries. Heck, my local TV weatherman
will say stuff like "It's going to be about 90F here in Roanoke, and a
little cooler out in the countryside" or even "Driving conditions here
in the city should be OK, but the roads in outlying areas will be freezing
up".

So you're saying that a TV weatherman at a small station knows more
about weather prediction than the guys at IPCC/ Give me a *break*.

Unless youre referring to the fact that there's a higher density of
measurements in urban areas (for example, could be 1 per square mile in
the city but only 1 per 40 square miles in the country).  Rest assured
that is *not* a major challenge for anybody who actually understands how
to do modelling, because you *never* get a nice perfect rectangular mesh
of perfect sensor readings. You get messy data, broken sensors, that
one area you couldn't put sensors into the experiment because there was
a structural support there, the subject sneezed and moved slightly,
etc etc etc.  So dealing with missing/incomplete data has been understood
for as long as scientists have been analyzing datasets.

I think he was referring to the idea that previously rural senors are becoming
urban without necessarily taking that into account when you look at the data.

For instance, say you have 30 weather stations along the stretch of 81 between
Blacksburg and Roanoke that were put in place in the 1950s and have been
continually monitored.  As Roanoke and the Blacksburg/Christiansburg Greater
Metropolitan Area of Traffic Growth have expanded towards each other, the heat-
island effect would have expanded with it.  So assume 10 of the 30 sensors have
shown continuous temperature increases since 1950.  How much of that is due to
global warming, and how much of that is due to urban expansion?

A climatologist at VT would take that into account in their localized studies.
Somebody at NOAA, viewing raw numbers in a text file, has no way to control for
that.  It's not that cities are hotter, is that the hot areas around cities
expand with the cities, and national or international datasets cannot account
for it.

If just 5% of your weather data points from 1960 were rural but in 2009 are
urban or suburban, how much does that skew the entire set?

Wes