funsec mailing list archives

Re: Was the ClimateGate Hacker Justified? Join the Debate!

From: Robert Graham <robert_david_graham () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 18:51:22 -0800 (PST)

No, I'm simply exasperated at (1) the gross stupidity of
supposedly-intelligent people, and at (2) the unbelievable
arrogance of
the unintelligent and/or uneducated who have absolutely no
clue, yet
have the audacity to pretend otherwise.

Irony. Lulz.

Can you -- generic you -- right here, right now, without
any help,
state the three laws of thermodynamics, give an example of
a perturbation
function, explain the carbon dioxide phase diagram, and
solve a partial
differential equation?   If not, then you
really should not be trying
to express an opinion on global warming.

I understand all your buzzwords. You are choosing random jargon to intimidate people. I'm not impressed.

If Al Gore is getting Oscars and Nobel Prizes, then the only qualification you need to join the debate is to understand
science at least as well as Al Gore. That's pretty much everybody.

I would suggest that understanding the "scientific method" is important. That, for me, is what made me a skeptic (and
what encouraged me to learn climatology). The IPCC has gaping holes in their scientific method. The worst is the way
computer models have replaced empirical data. The second worst is the way that historical reconstructions (aka. the
Hockey Sticks) are not reproducible, not statistically robust, and which contain "tricks to hide the decline". The
IPCC, and scientists like Mann and Jones, do things openly and publicly that no other scientific discipline would
tolerate. The Climategate e-mails don't really show anything new, but have focused people's attention on these errors.
I'll bet money that the next IPCC assessment report will not contain a graph that "hides the decline" like the current
one does.

I'll give you a chance to make me look like a fool. I'm scratching my head about your "CO2 phase change diagram"
buzzword. The partial pressure of CO2 never gets high enough to deposit out of the atmosphere, and I don't think there
are lakes of CO2 under the ocean (where in theory, pressure is high enough to make CO2 a solid/liquid). I'm at a loss
to explain why this has relevance to the IPCC conclusion that mankind is responsible for global warming. Please
enlighten me, and show everyone how little I know of climate science.