funsec mailing list archives

Re: Was the ClimateGate Hacker Justified? Join the Debate!

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 15:07:27 -0500

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 21:51:29 +0200, Gadi Evron said:

I am with you, vaccines risks are rare and unlikely, but they do exist.
Risk data available online is only there to either debunk it, or is
written by kooks. Real data doesn't exist.

So I took it as a challenge.  2 minutes and 37 seconds finds:

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/vaccination/vaccine_safety.htm

and a few seconds more finds:

http://vaers.hhs.gov/resources/2009H1N1Summary_Nov25.pdf

(short cut-n-paste, full report 4 pages)

VAERS Summary:
  * As of November 20, 2009, 46 million doses of 2009 H1N1 vaccine had been shipped to
     vaccination providers in the United States.
  * As of November 20, 2009, VAERS had received 3182 adverse event reports following 2009
     monovalent H1N1 vaccination.
  * The vast majority (94%) of adverse events reported to VAERS after receiving the 2009
     monovalent H1N1 vaccine have not been serious (e.g., they encompass things like
     soreness at the vaccine injection site).
  * Of the 3182 reports, 177 (6%) were reports that involved what would be considered serious
     health events (defined as life threatening or resulting in death, major disability, abnormal
     conditions at birth, hospitalization, or extension of an existing hospitalization)*.
  * The percentage of reports involving what would be considered serious health events is not
     different between 2009 H1N1 and seasonal influenza vaccines. Additionally, no new or
     unusual events or pattern of adverse events have emerged. VAERS reports continue to be
     monitored as more vaccine is administered.
  * Among the 177 reports of serious health events, there were 11 reports of death.

OK. You tell me.  Is CDC and HHS debunking or written by kooks?