funsec mailing list archives

Re: Ghosts of steganography past

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents-montreal org>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 15:19:13 -0500 (EST)

I sure don't see any hidden message in it.  What am I missing?
There's a whole bunch of dark pixels towards the center-right top.

You mean the rectangle that's 15x14+352+39, give or take a pixel or
two?  I see no particularly compelling reason to think this is anything
other than exactly what it looks like: some small brownish thing on the
wall, too small to see clearly at this resolution.

Or do you mean the patch which looks like the standing person's hair?
That too I see no reason to think is other than exactly what it appears
to be: black hair.

Or do you have external reason to think there is steganography going on
there?

If I actually wanted to steganographize in images, I'd do it much more
subtly - as a first idea, force the low bit of the blue dc component of
each DCT block to match my data (which of course would be encrypted, to
make it look like noise).

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse () rodents-montreal org