funsec mailing list archives

But Facebook are not spammers [was: And Facebook sells user data, too ...]

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 02:27:57 +0300

On 5/22/10 2:04 AM, Rich Kulawiec wrote:
On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 02:25:25PM -0800, Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon&  Hannah wrote:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100014240527487045131045752567012154655
96.html

Wow, spammers selling data to other spammers.  Apparently the
Wall Street Journal actually thinks this is news.

Facebook does not spam.

If you want to accuse them of doing something under a definition we all
understand one way when you mean another, please state your precise meaning.

Repeat these things enough times and people will believe them. It's self
generating ethos.

Facebook let's users send you email themselves, by using its systems. If
you say no about a person, they won't bug you about him or her again. If
another chooses to invite you, pick your bone with them.

Or are you saying people aren't allowed to email you by taking an action
to do so, willingly and knowingly?

One thing you may be meaning, which you would then be right about, is
that some social networks (such as Naymz) keep emailing you forever
about joining, even if they tell you they won't after 30 days). I am
unsure if Facebook does that. If they do, speak of that issue, please.
Blanket statements don't fit the bill in this case.

I have many bones to pick with Facebook over privacy, but you calling
them spammers based on a definition that doesn't hold water for probably
20 years now, if then, and it's not very helpful to the cause.

        Gadi.