funsec mailing list archives

Re: But Facebook are not spammers [was: And Facebook sells user data, too ...]

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents-montreal org>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 09:53:49 -0400 (EDT)

If a person opens their email client -- and you do in fact know them
or would not otherwise object to get an email from them -- and they
email you, then it is not spam.  It may be unsolicited, but it is not
spam.  Agreed?

Not necessarily.  If said person mails me as part of a bulk mailing, it
may indeed be spam.  (It's relatively unlikely anyone I actually know
would do that, but that's not really relevant.)

There's sure no question of it being email or unsolicited, leaving
only the "bulk" leg of the UBE tripod in question.
It is mail, and it is unsolicited, but it is not bulk.

I'm having trouble seeing how it's not.  Substantively identical
messages, sent in relatively large quantity, to people as unrelated as
me and Paul Vixie?  Indeed, in a number of cases, apparently sent to
entire scraped address books?  (For example, most of the ones I've seen
sent to mailing lists.)

Also notable (in that it vitiates your casting of them as just a
somewhat unusual webmailer) is that I can't think of a case in which I
had any clue who the nominally provoking person - the name Facebook
sticks in the From: - was.  Of the three examples I find in my incoming
mail that hasn't yet rolled off the end of my historical records, two
were sent to mailing lists I'm on and the third was sent to my NetBSD
address; in none of these cases do I recognize the name in the From:.

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse () rodents-montreal org