funsec mailing list archives

Re: But Facebook are not spammers

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents-montreal org>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 01:00:52 -0400 (EDT)

when they send me mail because one of their users clicks "add buddy"
that's borderline.  when they send me followup mail because i didn't
answer, then that is spam, 100%, and inarguably so.
As someone who is in a position to architect a similar feature for a
web site in the near future, how would you suggest this type of
action be implemented?

I'm not Paul, but, my answer is, "not".

Not that I expect my opinion to make any difference.

The system needs a way for people to invite their friends/colleagues
to participate in the system and e-mail offers the least friction.

Why does it need such a way?  What's wrong with letting your users
invite their friends and colleagues personally and directly, via
whatever means they happen to have at hand for communicating with the
friends and colleagues in question?

That started out as a rhetorical question, but it actually is a good
question to ponder.  What _is_ wrong with it?  Why do you feel a need
to offer a send-an-invite option yourselves?

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse () rodents-montreal org