funsec mailing list archives

Re: But Facebook are not spammers [was: And Facebook sells user data, too ...]

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents-montreal org>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 00:38:02 -0400 (EDT)

It is mail, and it is unsolicited, but it is not bulk.
I'm having trouble seeing how it's not.  Substantively identical
messages, sent in relatively large quantity, to [unrelated people]?
Indeed, in a number of cases, apparently sent to entire scraped
address books?
I already answered this very point in my previous email, namely I
discussed how the messaged differ from each other both in the action
of sending being individual, and the messages similarity being
analagous to any web mail service with a signature line option.

If any such webmailer put such an "invitation" in someone's signature
and then proceeded to send out mail with nothing but that "signature",
I'd call it spam too.

Anyway, I see no point in continuing the conversation; it's clear you
have (for whatever reason) some unwillingness to accept Facebook as
spammers.  Fine; I don't much care what you think of them - but it
doesn't affect my own opinion of them.

Try it, see for yourself.

No.  Quite aside from an unwillingness to have anything to do with them
on spam grounds, I have at least two other reasons to stay away from
Facebook: (1) they (try to) inflict ads on their users (presumably
they've adopted the cable-tv business model of treating their nominal
users as product to be sold to their real customers, the advertisers),
and I will not tolerate that; and (2) as far as I can tell, the only
interface they have for their users is a Web one, and what they offer
is nto nearly enough payment to make me subject myself to a Web-only
interface, especially since they can't be arsed to even _try_ to
support any text browsers.

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse () rodents-montreal org