funsec mailing list archives

Re: There are some things man was not meant to meddle with ...

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 16:46:48 -0400

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 12:30:35 PDT, "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" said:

OK, ten bucks says they tear the fabric of the universe apart, and then can't figure
out how to stitch it together again.  (You ever notice that these "biggest in the
world" things never seem to have a woman on staff?)

"It will cause the mysterious particles of matter and antimatter thought to
make up a vacuum to be pulled apart, allowing scientists to detect the tiny
electrical charges they produce."

*yawn*.  Pair production.  Hawking radiation in the lab. ;)

The only really big question is whether pair production from vacuum energy is
qualitatively different from pair production from an energy source like a gamma ray.

I'm not concerned - they say this is 200 times bigger than any current laser system.
Meanwhile, we're bombarded every day with cosmic rays that are several *billion* times
more powerful than the interactions at the LHC and after 4.5 billion years the planet is
still here.

Five bucks says they create a new universe, and the inhabitants of said universe,
running at billions of times our time frame, evolve quickly into a race of super-
intelligent beings, and, depressed by the futility of existence, come and destroy us
in retaliation for having created them.

"For thousands more years the mighty ships tore across the empty wastes of
space and finally dived screaming on to the first planet they came
across---which happened to be Earth---where due to a terrible miscalculation of
scale the entire battle fleet was accidentally swallowed by a small dog."

Even if they detonate their entire universe into a matter-antimatter explosion,
they've only got a fraction of a milligram of mass in our universe to play with
(tops). And even a small Hiroshima-sized bomb converts about 1 gram to energy
(do the math - 1 gram gets you about a 21.5kt explosion).  So blowing up a
milligram of mass will be about the same as 200 pounds of TNT. Will screw up
the lab, but probably not us - we've spent a decade doing that much exploding
every minute in Iraq and Afganistan and there's still people there.