funsec mailing list archives

Re: There are some things man was not meant to meddle with ...

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2011 09:37:40 +0200

On 10/31/11 10:46 PM, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:
Five bucks says they create a new universe, and the inhabitants of said universe,
running at billions of times our time frame, evolve quickly into a race of super-
intelligent beings, and, depressed by the futility of existence, come and destroy us
in retaliation for having created them.

Even if they detonate their entire universe into a matter-antimatter explosion,
they've only got a fraction of a milligram of mass in our universe to play with
(tops). And even a small Hiroshima-sized bomb converts about 1 gram to energy
(do the math - 1 gram gets you about a 21.5kt explosion).  So blowing up a
milligram of mass will be about the same as 200 pounds of TNT. Will screw up
the lab, but probably not us - we've spent a decade doing that much exploding
every minute in Iraq and Afganistan and there's still people there.

But as they can choose WHEN to enter our universe, their bomb can be TARGETED to make sure the original amino-acids which created life on earth won't meet due to mixing up their schedule. The dust thrown at us can land on a butterfly's wing which will wave then cause it to wave furiously creating a 1 nano-gram equivalent of wind force, initiating a chain of events that made a dinosaur sneeze.

Oh, wait.