funsec mailing list archives

Re: I'll believe corporations are people when they let them drive in the HOV lane ...

From: Conrad Constantine <conrad () 1211 net>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2013 14:29:19 -0500

On 2/5/2013 1:30 PM, Paul Ferguson wrote:
The first *best* step is to take the money out of politics altogether.

- ferg

that would involve taking the power out of having money too.

Politics is a modern day path to power and rulership, and the great families have a vested interest in maintaining their oligarchy by fiat.

You want some way to divorce the two? How about a rule that prevents succession-by-birth explicitly - and that holding an office precludes your offspring from doing the same.

now THAT would put the fox amongst the chickens!

I'm from the UK, we're used to peerage, because it's explicitly allowed by law. The USA has managed to create the same system, entirely without support of law, merely money and power.

Which funnily enough, is pretty much how peerage got started in the first place, and then they just had the church slap something about it being the will of god onto it. Fast forward yourself a couple of centuries and hey, you've got yourself a monarchy.

America enjoyed a brief period of enjoying a return to Classical forms of government, but appears to be rapidly returning back to the state of Feudalism that has been the norm for humanity for most of the last two millenia. Considering the sheer amount of time that humanity has languished in some variety of feudalism, you might consider it the natural state of things at this point... all systems intended to equalize resources and social justice are inevitably gamed into a format that comes to serve those with the will to power.