funsec mailing list archives

Re: Explosive breast implants

From: "Nick FitzGerald" <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 11:00:04 +1200

Rob Slade wrote:

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/Blog/2013/08/16/Explosive-breast-implants-are-
now-a-terror-threat/4521376677949

Not much detail here, but I'm calling bullshit.  Or, at least, irrelevance.
[...]

Aside from Rob's quite reasonable qualms about the potential for this
actually working, is it just me, or does the whole piece read like a
(poor) April Fools item?

In a story about potentially explosive female breast implants they
quote "independent security analyst Paul Beaver" and an "explosives
expert" named Openheimer?  (OK, the latter is actually Oppenheimer.)

Again, talking about female breast implants "It's pretty top
secret...".

And, from a purely factual position:

   Al-Qaida´s chief bomb-maker Ibrahim al-Asiri is rumored to have
   developed explosives that can be concealed in implants or body
   cavities[...]

That is not even news.

The same Al-Qaida bomb-maker placed a cavity bomb in his brother's
(cousin's, brother-in-law's??) arse in a failed attempt to kill some
senior Saudi minister (Defence?) a couple of years back, so it has been
known for some time now that he has been thinking about, and
potentially still working on, "implantable" devices.

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald