nanog mailing list archives

Re: CIDR FAQ

From: bmanning () ISI EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 1995 16:31:28 -0700 (PDT)

So what would the normal implementation of such a design be?  ebgp-multihop
all of your peers into the PC, and then a single peering session the Cisco,
presuming no "next-hop-self" routes?

No. Colocated BGP4 "proxies" (I'm still not sure what to call these,
anyone?) would peer via EBGP with other ASes BGP4 "proxies" on the same
net. The next_hop BGP4 attribute on all routes exchanged would be that
of the routers on the high speed interconnect, not of the "proxies."
ASes that do not implement this would still peer via EBGP
router-to-router as usual and would not see the "proxies;" eventually
everyone would move towards having "proxies" or else router vendors
would beef up their products, either way, we're all happy.

Nick

This is very similar to the existing RA route server design.  If you want
to play with this, then pick up the RS code and try it out. Its a lot
closer than the gated base is for doing this kind of "toying around".

--bill