nanog mailing list archives

Re: Sprint VS. Qwest

From: jnull <jnelson () jnull rackspace com>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 01:17:59 -0500

Neither Sprint nor Qwest are serious about earning my business and are not
providing me with their network peering details.  I was hoping that the
list might have the collective resources to help me determine who has
better peering.
chirstopher
Chirstopher,

Your comment "serious about earning my business" demands reply.... I'm still in awe of tier ones and their reluctance
to provide their potential customers with the facts--be it true or ficticious--that would seel the deal. I've learned a
couple things about peering: one, unless your traffic goes to or thru them it doesn't matter; and two, pay attention to
where they peer as much as with whom. Granted, information can be scarce until after the contract is signed, but
enormous amounts of info may be extrapolated from transit hops thre your current provider. Take advantage of Cflow/Arts
info, and/or use routeservers to determine AS hops. Aside from all my "do the homework" answers, I would have to say
that Qwest and Sprint are quite similar, with one exeption: I once had a serious problem with Sprint, and after some
minor unpleasantries was able to talk to a knowledgable engineer who told me the truth, something I have never been
able to accomplish with Qwest. 2 cents.

sig=$header