nanog mailing list archives

Re: Why do so few mail providers support Port 587?

From: Nils Ketelsen <nils.ketelsen () kuehne-nagel com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 17:16:14 -0500

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 04:51:50PM -0500, andrew2 () one net wrote:

There seem to be many who feel there is no overwhelming reason to
support 587.  I can certainly see that point of view, but I guess my
question is what reasons do those of you with that viewpoint have *not*
to implement it?  I just don't see the harm in either configuring your

Oh thats easy: It creates costs (for implementing it
on the servers and clients) and produces no benefit.

MTA to listen on an extra port, or just forward port 587 to 25 at the
network level.  Other than a few man-hours for implementation what are
the added costs/risks that make you so reluctant?  What am I missing?

You are missing the operational costs (has to be included in the regular
failover tests, has to be monitored, has to be fixed if something breaks
etc.)

Any system I introduce is increasing risks and costs. If there is
no benefit to justify these, I won't do it.

Nils