nanog mailing list archives

Re: Why do so few mail providers support Port 587?

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike () swm pp se>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 00:12:08 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005, Jim Popovitch wrote:

I am against port blocking as much as the next guy, I just see port 587
as a disaster waiting to happen.  ISP provided email credentials are
universally transmitted in plain text.  If an (insert any ISP here)
employee can be arrested for selling email addresses to spammers, what
keeps them from collecting and selling 587 credentials?

If you limit port 587 sending to let's say 1000 email per day you probably
cover 99.9% of all normal users, and you're very likely to catch the
spammers abusing an account.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike () swm pp se