nanog mailing list archives

Re: NANOGers home data centers - What's in your closet?

From: Chaim Rieger <chaim.rieger () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 22:59:04 -0700

On 8/12/2011 7:02 PM, Leo Bicknell wrote:
Why? Unless you live in a HUGE house, you can do 10GE over copper to all rooms. Copper is infinately easier to run and terminate. I dunno about you, but 10GE is both out of my price range, and useless given the speed of my NAS disks, Comcast cable modem, and WiFI box. GigE, switched, is quite nice and affordable. Now, if you have to run to another building on the property (even just a detached garage) fiber is the way to go due to ground loops, but that's a slightly different story...
Leo I have a spare 10Ge 48 port switch that you can have, if you ask nicely.