nanog mailing list archives

Re: NANOGers home data centers - What's in your closet?

From: jari.arkko () piuha net
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 16:58:41 +0300

Leo,

Why? Unless you live in a HUGE house, you can do 10GE over copper to
all rooms. Copper is infinately easier to run and terminate.

Because you need optical so that you can run the feed into the backup
servers in the EMP protected room? :-)

(I have a shelter that had to be added for building technical reasons, and
I ended up adding some Faraday cage features before concrete was poured. I
haven't tested it for EMP though :-) But I don't have the optical gear as
it has been very expensive, at least if one wants to go beyond 100mbit/s.
At least last time I checked. Pointers for cheap 1gbit/s or beyond gear
welcome.)

Jari