nanog mailing list archives

Re: NANOGers home data centers - What's in your closet?

From: Brielle Bruns <bruns () 2mbit com>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 00:08:53 -0600

On 8/12/11 11:59 PM, Chaim Rieger wrote:
On 8/12/2011 7:02 PM, Leo Bicknell wrote:
Why? Unless you live in a HUGE house, you can do 10GE over copper to
all rooms. Copper is infinately easier to run and terminate. I dunno
about you, but 10GE is both out of my price range, and useless given
the speed of my NAS disks, Comcast cable modem, and WiFI box. GigE,
switched, is quite nice and affordable. Now, if you have to run to
another building on the property (even just a detached garage) fiber
is the way to go due to ground loops, but that's a slightly different
story...
Leo I have a spare 10Ge 48 port switch that you can have, if you ask
nicely.

I'll take one too if your handing them out :)

"Free 10gig for everyone!"

--
Brielle Bruns
http://www.sosdg.org    /     http://www.ahbl.org