nanog mailing list archives

RE: NANOGers home data centers - What's in your closet?

From: Alexander Harrowell <a.harrowell () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 10:01:02 +0200

Eric Krichbaum <eric () telic us> wrote:

I have a 12 pack of single mode run between wiring closets upstairs and
downstairs.  Only one server running feeding media to my xbmc's
everywhere
but quite a bit on gig.  Nothing overly noisy unless you have your head
in
the closets.

Eric

Anyone got experience with XBMC and similar linux media centre tools running on tablet or netbook class hardware? I
like the idea of using a couple of el cheapo Android tablets with decent external speakers as music/video/TV/phone
terminals, getting content from a NAS box and perhaps phone from a * server.

Roku etc. are far, far too expensive for what they do.

Alternatively, Eric, what are your XBMCs running on?