nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 mistakes, was: Re: Looking for an IPv6 naysayer...

From: "Patrick W. Gilmore" <patrick () ianai net>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 06:00:14 -0500

On Feb 18, 2011, at 5:54 AM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
On 17 feb 2011, at 18:57, John Curran wrote:

Actually, as I have noted before, the US DoD has contractually
agreed to return to ARIN unneeded IPv4 address space if/when
such becomes available, so that it may be used by the Internet
community.

How can they "return" stuff to ARIN that they got from IANA in the first place?

ARIN seems to be getting the very long end of the legacy stick.

Agreed.

But last time I checked, the United States is in the ARIN region.  And ARIN did not exist when the US DoD got its
space.  (In fact, I do believe the reason "IP space" exists is because the DoD paid someone to come up with the idea? :)

If the US DoD wants more space, it has to ask ARIN, right?  Are you suggesting it should deal with a different
organization depending on which direction the IP addresses flow?

Supposed it was space ARIN assigned the DoD?

--
TTFN,
patrick