nanog mailing list archives

Re: BGP Peers as basis of available routes

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 13:20:42 -0500

On 10/19/2011 12:48 PM, Jared Mauch wrote:

On Oct 19, 2011, at 3:00 AM, Raymond Dijkxhoorn wrote:

Dont mix up peering and transit connections!

I've nearly given up on this.  I've heard many a small provider say they are "Peering" with level3 when they mean "we are
buying transit from Level3".

Many people equate having BGP up with them to mean something else.

And yet I might pay for transit from Sprint, but decide to limit routes to just between us (which is peering, but technically I'm paying for transit).

Terminology has always been a blast.

Jack