nanog mailing list archives

Re: BGP Peers as basis of available routes

From: bmanning () vacation karoshi com
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 18:54:08 +0000

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 01:20:42PM -0500, Jack Bates wrote:
On 10/19/2011 12:48 PM, Jared Mauch wrote:

On Oct 19, 2011, at 3:00 AM, Raymond Dijkxhoorn wrote:

Dont mix up peering and transit connections!

I've nearly given up on this.  I've heard many a small provider say they
are "Peering" with level3 when they mean "we are buying transit from
Level3".

Many people equate having BGP up with them to mean something else.

And yet I might pay for transit from Sprint, but decide to limit routes
to just between us (which is peering, but technically I'm paying for
transit).

Terminology has always been a blast.

Jack

        actually, its pretty clear.

        peer - exchange routes with a neighbor (BGP/OSPF/ISIS/EGP/Static).
        transit - your neighbor agrees to send your routes to -their- neighbors.

        peering you can control, transit is controlled by a third party.

so Jack, you could pay Sprint for transit (they propogte your routes elsewhere) and
then insist on no-export for the routes you give them..  -IF- Sprint honours your
no-export, then your just peering, regardless of what you are paying for.

/bill