nanog mailing list archives

Re: Uptick in spam

From: Ian Smith <ian.w.smith () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 09:08:00 -0400

But that's not how SPF works.  In SPF, the domain of the envelope header
sender address is checked against that domain's sender policy.  Since
jdlabs.fr has no policy specified, a strict SPF policy at the NANOG server
would have prevented this small issue.

As for the utility of SPF, well.  It's not comprehensive, no one I know
would say that it is.  But it's a bit of a stretch to say that has zero
value.  It would have prevented this latest bit of fun, which seems to have
people upset, so there's *some* value.

-Ian