nanog mailing list archives

Re: COVID-19 vs. our Networks

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2020 19:19:56 +0200

On 19/Mar/20 18:05, Mike Bolitho wrote:

I was getting blasted earlier for suggesting streaming services and
gaming DLCs could likely be slowed by government intervention. EU is
currently working with Netflix to do just that. It's currently a
strong suggestion and even a plead but I maintain that we're going to
see this pushed harder in the coming weeks.

In a statement on Thursday, Breton said that given the unprecedented
situation, streaming platforms, telecom operators and users "all have
a joint responsibility to take steps to ensure the smooth functioning
of the internet during the battle against the virus propagation."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/19/tech/netflix-internet-overload-eu/index.html

Well that's pretty desperate.

If you have an OCA connected to your network to serve your customers,
I'm not sure taking streams down from HD to SD actually moves the needle.

Mark.